Mechanical bearings are an essential part of an industrial machine, a production line, technological equipment, etc. Their role is to guide a rotating assembly. They ensure the rotation of a component relative to another.
Different sectors need it in their activities: aeronautics, steel, cement, wind power, automotive, etc. The key is to choose the right mechanical bearing system for high equipment performance in terms of productivity, durability, etc. You can buy here for the best choice.
Different types of mechanical bearings
There are different types of mechanical bearings, among which:
- The ball bearing
- Cylindrical roller bearings
- Tapered roller bearings
- Needle bearings
Ball bearings remain the most commonly used mechanisms because they are often less expensive. However, each system has its advantages and disadvantages. Each type of bearing is more or less well suited to one area more than another.
Several factors to take into account when choosing the right mechanical bearings
To choose the right mechanical bearings, you must first take into account the load to be supported:
- An axial load parallel to the axis of rotation: needle bearings or ball bearings for moderate axial loads.
- A radial load perpendicular to this axis: cylindrical roller bearings for large radial loads or ball bearings for less load.
- A combined load (axial + radial): tapered roller bearings.
The type of load changes everything in terms of pressure on the elements, performance and wear of the system. This is why it is essential to choose the right mechanical rolling device according to this parameter, for the correct functioning of linear guide systems or other components of machine or production line.
Technical data required for selection
- Footprint available.
- Radial and axial loads: levels? constants or variables? with shocks?
- Required life (in hours or millions of revolutions).
- Speed: constant or variable? with oscillations?
- Required precision of rotation: run out of rotation? Game axial / radial allowed? rigidity? permissible misalignment?
- Atmosphere: temperature? constant or variable?
- Pollution: humidity? dust? vibrations? centrifugation?
- Lubrication: oil? fat? shaft or housing rotating with respect to the load? horizontal or vertical tree?
- Sealing provided: integrated into the bearing? independent? what type?
- Assembly constraints, disassembly, adjustment, maintenance.
- Special requirements on the friction torque.
Other elements to take into account for the right choice of mechanical bearings:
- rotational speed
- the environment (shocks, vibrations, etc.)
- the rigidity of the parts of a system
- service life (cylindrical roller bearings, for example, are very robust and have a very long service life)
- enlarged inner ring
In addition to these choice parameters, there are a large number of possible options, including: material, surface treatment, protective cage, tightness, contact angle or even preload. There is obviously also a wide choice of sizes. Each industrial application must take these different elements into account to adapt its equipment.
The choice of a bearing is made according to the conditions of use with regard to the characteristics of each type of bearing and their relative aptitudes. This choice is all the more suitable as the technical data of the mechanism using the bearings are precisely defined.